Thursday, April 9, 2009

Hummingbird Moth.






This has been a weird spring with lots of ups and downs in temperature. Hopefully we will settle down now. I have lost some tomato plants (even though I covered them) and lots of new growth has frozen on plants. This afternoon I was out watering and saw a pair of hummingbird moths feeding on my columbine and dianthus. They are some of my favorite insects - not really related to hummingbirds but they remind you of them. Their wings go so fast and they feed on tubular flowers like hummingbirds do. Here are a couple of photos I took.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Hey Susan,
Those are some awesome pictures. It's funny I was just in the garden last night and saw these same moths nectaring on salvia greggii and pincushion flower. The cats were busy trying to catch them (thankfully they failed). Keep blogging, we love looking at your pictures. Happy Easter-tell everyone we said "hello" and hope to see you soon.

Cassie

Seedplanter said...

I've never seen a hummingbird moth. What a fascinating creature!